Friday, March 11, 2011

My donation quilt for Alliance for Quilts


Fire and Smoke
Sunday afternoon I was posed with an urge to enter the Alliance for Quilts contest which was due in the mail the next day...thank goodness it only had to be a SMALL quilt...this is what I did...



First i collaged and glued fabric and lace.....I could NOT find my cheese cloth ANYWHERE which would have been perfect for smoke...


Then i painted it...with pyrrole red and hansa yellow light golden fluid acrylics...next i made a quilt sandwhich and added ALOT of gold thread...some in zig zag, some FMQ and some thread painting to represent flames across the top of the quilt...I added numbers to represent the costs of wild fires which seem to rage across the country anymore...

And right before i mailed it i started scribbling fire fire fire across it with a soft lead pencil and smudged it out..if you look in the detail you can see it vaguely...then i set it with fixative...hate that quilt to smudge:>


This is a larger quilt I have been working on made from a friends moms old 50s and 60s patterns...collaging, painting and YES i found the cheese cloth...a straight of grain arrow on the bottom...broke three needles FMQing it...OH MY!! this is on a base of canvas duck, polymer gel medium and then paint...and maybe some more paint:> and oh the patterns...sometimes more than one got used before I had the PERFECT picture...lucky for me there were still old couturier labels which used to come with Vogue couturier patterns were still in the envelopes...waiting for my mom's box from Asheville of old sewing ephemera ...especially the old family measuring tape...tattered cloth by now...

This could be a series because theres a VERY Large bag of these patterns....My friend i think will make one of her moms scraps and some of the pattern covers too...a good way to remember her mom....


Come back to me...

OK one more...i am also doing a quilt for Ami Simms alzheimer donations...this is the start...

Not quilted yet...made in a similar manner to Fire and Smoke...collaged fabric, paint, a little cheese cloth figure...adding words before its done...,not sure how or what...

3 comments:

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

You are working with some fascinating processes lately. I love the Alzheimer's quilt- very poignant.

Gale Wrigley said...

All 3 are great but the Alzheimer's one gives me chills ... FABULOUS!!!! Perfect capture of the loss to/of a sufferer of this sad disease.

Sandra said...

Cool quilt- but makes me wonder why I slaved over mine for weeks -grin. Stop by to see mine.

Glad to see your great work for great causes.