Thursday, September 22, 2005

HIT: Batting aka The Batting is breeding...

I posted this question to the Quiltart list Tuesday and by the afternoon I had all these answers…if yours is not on it its because it was a duplicate of anothers answer. I gave credit to the author…Great info on the list! If you wish to have your post removed please contact me!

BYTW put one trashbag full of batting in dh’s closet…cant wait to see what he says when it falls out…on top of his heap of shoes…ummm I could put it in my neater closet but I cant reach the empty shelf…tooo short…or is it the shelf is tooo tall…stand by for pics of my batting heap…well at least whats in the house…there is another heap in the garage and the bag of poly in the trunk…so I can give it to those who love poly….:>

And watch out Judy…I might just mail you a box…you know you need it…shes done at leastt 8 quilts now??? This is her latest...we call it Kitty's UFOs...donated by another guild member...did I say our UFOS are growing too?! Isnt it great looking...did I say Judy is great with assorted ufos...



********************************************************************************************

My question:

I seem to have batting growing in the corners around here...quilt friends

have informally appointed me head of Katrina quilts...and I have all their

leftover batting...does anyone out there know if you make a good size

quilt out of zigzagged pieces of batting...is it still soft??? Or does it

get hard where the seams are...I mean I have at least two trash bags of

these pieces...and several grocery bags in the garage and stacks in the

linen closet(read fabric closet)...I even used some on my swiffer mop

yesterday...the small scraps...

Hmm does this mean I now have a batting collection...think I have every kind

made by hobbs...and even a roll of poly....Maggie in SC

********************************************************************************************

I piece batting together all the time. The seams are undetectable in a

finished quilt.

The trick is to BUTT the batting pieces together, NOT to overlap them along

seams. I use a little bits of masking tape to hold the edges aligned while

I'm sewing. Remove the masking tape just before you get to it - DON'T stitch

through it. Stitch with a wide, long triple step zigzag/stretch stitch,

centering the stitch over the join. A regular zigzag stitch will work also,

but tends to come apart too easily for my taste.

Try to avoid placing a batting seam line along a line where the quilt will

be folded. Gently wavy piecing lines are best. This keeps the batting from

splitting along frequent fold lines.

Valli Schiller

Naperville, IL

********************************************************************************************

When I join pieces of batting, I use fusible interfacing in little strips, ironed across the two pieces butted together - no zig zag. Someone on the list mentioned this and it's works beautifully, as long as you carefully pin the sandwich on either side of the join.

Deana Apfel

********************************************************************************************

one way to use up odd pieces of batting is to use a modified quilt as you go method.

Not wanting to toss anything, I saved the strips from the sides of larger quilts---you know the leftovers from the sides, and then sewed the strips pretty randomly from when I was straightening the ends---I seem to have a lot of those---maybe I'm just extra clutzy in cutting. The directions for quilt as you go suggests using bias strips---and I did that with left-over binding strips---but when I ran out, I discovered straight strips worked just as well.

I call this method Lagniappe----that's an expression here we use for the 'extra' you get but didn't really pay for. It would be an easy project for a girl scout or other youth group as the sewing skills for putting two strips right sides together, sewing through batting and backing, and then flipping. The only 'hard' part is trimming and then sewing the sections together.

********************************************************************************************

I piece batting together all the time. The seams are undetectable in a finished quilt.

The trick is to BUTT the batting pieces together, NOT to overlap them along seams. I use a little bits of masking tape to hold the edges aligned while I'm sewing. Remove the masking tape just before you get to it - DON'T stitch through it. Stitch with a wide, long triple step zigzag/stretch stitch, centering the stitch over the join. A regular zigzag stitch will work also, but tends to come apart too easily for my taste.

Try to avoid placing a batting seam line along a line where the quilt will be folded. Gently wavy piecing lines are best. This keeps the batting from splitting along frequent fold lines.

Valli Schiller

Naperville, IL

********************************************************************************************

I have successfully done this with cotton batting. I lay them where they will join, overlapping, and then cut a gentle curve through the overlap with a rotary cutter. Then place the edges together and sew together. I sometimes help a charity group -- they hand whip stitch the poly batt pieces together -- they don't throw away practically anything! With the cotton -- I just sew them together with an S stitch -- although I think a zigzag would work, too. You really can't tell the difference when you are done -- although I used to be a snob and think that the charity group members were nuts. I would add, though, that I quilt the cotton batt quilts heavily -- and the poly batts are quilted lightly.

Ginny Greaves

http://www.virginiagreaves.com

********************************************************************************************

I had very good luck. I butt the pieces together rather than overlapping and zigzag. Then I quilt somewhat more heavily than I might otherwise. You definitely do not want to tie these. But they do well otherwise.

Overlapping will give you "bumps".

Shoshana Edwards

********************************************************************************************

Lay one piece next to the other, with the edges barely overlapping. Then cut through both layers, so that when you remove the small pieces, the two large pieces match exactly. You may want to use a ruler and rotary cutter. You may get better results by making the cut to be a sort of large zigzag rather than straight on the grain. The idea there is that the cut/seam isn't right under just one place. If you use spray basting when you make the quilt sandwich, you can get this fleece to be just right, together, not overlapping.

I don't think you have to zig zag the edges together at all, especially if you will be quilting quite a bit. You are probably right that sewing the pieces together would give a hard line.

LOiS J

********************************************************************************************

I generally piece mine by hand, and they come out fine.

Mary Horton

********************************************************************************************

I always use up my leftover cotton batting. I press the pieces first and use the widest zig-zag and longest stitch and butt the two edges together.

I have never noticed a difference in the quilted quilt.

Linda Salitrynski

www.countrykeepsakesonline.com

********************************************************************************************

I overlap the batts but usually it's just for wall hangings. But if I were you, for these service quilts, I WOULD overlap them and make more quilts!!

Jo Rice in Ohio

********************************************************************************************

You know I'm working on serged quilts for Katrina and the pattern I'm developing now uses batting pieces 22'" by 9" so you might want to hold onto those pieces if anyone makes serged quilts.

BJ Reed

Her pattern is on her website http://piecemaking.com

********************************************************************************************

...skip the stitching. Cut 2" or so wide strips of the lightest weight fusible interfacing that you can find (Whisper Weft is one)...if you have a pinking or wave blade for your rotary cutter, us it. Just butt the edges of the batting together, lay the strip of interfacing centered on the "seam", lay a damp press cloth on top and fuse it together. Once you've got it inside the quilt you'll never be able to tell where the seam is....the pinked or wave-bladed edge helps the hardly identifiable edge be even harder to identify.

Sarah Smith

I have used fusable interfacing(whisper weft is a good one for this method).The kind with glue on one side, I cut a strip about 1 inch wide, butt the two pieces together, pin and then iron. I haven't found that it made the batting stiff.

Sue James

No comments: