Friday, May 29, 2009

Kims birthday quilt & Sloshindicular stars - or how a Portrait quilt was born!

or should i say almost since it still needs its outer borders...
Sloshindicular stars - thats old Charlestonian for askew! Just googled it and its from All the Year Round by Charles Dickens....a sloshindicular or a diagonological position.
Notice anything funny about this picture...three hands two feet...still not sure how Ille and Betsy did that!

OK so this is how the story of the quilt goes....

Three weeks ago the flip flop strips were all that was put together....in the meantime I closed down school packing up the debris of three years or gave it away..several car loads later it was home...
Now all it needs is the outside borders...black with pink polka dots or another star point border?!
and NO I dont want to hear it...BOTH!!!:>
the darn quilt is big enough at about 70X90....a wall quilt gone wild!

After all that moving the very next day (which was yesterday) Ille, Kim, Mary and I got together to sew the flip flops to the center...of course there was no center yesterday morning. Lovely lunch out on the porch...Mary made her luscious ham sandwiches and Kim brought fresh local strawberries.....

Three weeks ago I had a vague plan for this quilt...Kim LOVES flip flops and has been known to wear them in the middle of winter...yes there is winter in GA and SC!!
Then I made a list of all things Kim...and picked out some of those to add to the quilt...

I drew the flip flop pattern and sent it out Inauguration day for the borders that all of our friends made and signed...there was quite a brouhaha over OH MY we werent supposed to add ribbons and beads or buttons?? OH NO...I told them all KIM LOVES GEEGAWS ....bytw thats Sawthern for fancy stuff!:> Everyone flopped them the way they wanted too...

So Sunday three weeks ago I engineered the middle while Ille , Connie, and Mary sewed more flip flops...SOME of us had not made ours yet but we will NOT name them!!

While Mary and Ille finished them up while Connie and I painted the middle.

I sewed all the peaky spikey borders aka star points one sunday afternoon...


Ille and I started sewing the borders and flip flops on ...OOPS the star blocks did NOT fit...too small...

hmm wonder where the fourth star went...dont you love blogger?!

had to add some filler strips...and we decided to make them sloshindicular!

Last nite after her last day at school Margaret W. came by and painted the cat and engineered the cake and the platter...isnt the cat wonderful?! She also helped me fuse all the stuff on the top...as in she approved the layout...

This morning I glued Kim and her animals down with a glue stick.......

Now the next question is more star points for the outside border? Or a black with pink polka dot border all around?!! Decisions decisions decisions....and i want to pin it before guild meeting on Monday...Oh wait and going to Columbia for a job fair with my brother on Monday too...

In the middle of all this I am going to the gym, we are sewing prayer quilts tomorrow and sometime I HAVE to scrub the pool...so it can be clean for the party next Friday...

WHO has time to worry about no job?:> OH wait..thats what i do at 3 am...why does it happen at 3 am?!

1 comment:

Jamie Fingal said...

What a beautiful quilt - I love the colors and the movement this piece has. It just makes me smile! And the shoes!!!