Friday, February 05, 2010

the beginnings of another art quilt


t
I seem to be on a roll lately....this is the second art quilt i have started lately and theres another brewing trying to get out and see the day light..or should i say the rain?!

Currently i would have to say art wise my loves are my portfolio oil pastels, my Caran d'ache neocolor ii and my tsunieko inks...if i am not drawing and coloring on fabric with one i am using another one on watercolor paper.

So yesterday I was watching sunrises on HDTV Theater...and they showed the Emperor's Garden in Japan ...lovely iris....and i drew this sketch from them. I was not thrilled with the placement of the iris and even glued one on ....I really like using odd numbers in art work...and it had an even number but i DID like the leaves ...the way they undulated and swayed across the sketch.
before i added water

But i thought that black background was a mistake...didnt do much for the iris...it was the same intensity that they were so they all blended together to mush...

This afternoon i got a large piece of masonite out of the garage and taped a piece of white kona cotton to it to start the iris....I got out the Portfolio Oil Pastels and i started to draw the iris and leaves...this piece is pretty big...about 36x48"...but i wasnt sure what color the background should be...
before i added water

I had to go leave to visit with a friend and on the way home i saw the bright yellow background which of course since yellow is the complimentary color of purple was the PERFECT color for the background of these blue violet iris...

Came home and colored in the leaves and added that yellow and it really started singing to me...then i added a little rust and some peach to it....and the water....i love what the water does to it...swirling the colors...making little puddles of lovely stuff to look at...and salt...to make some dots of color...

Its still wet but i am really liking this one so far...cant wait to put it on the long arm and quilt it...WAIT its wet no long arm till tomorrow...and i think i may add some shiva paintstiks to it...BUT SOON...and now to get on with the birthing of the other quilt...fabric is all ironed and ready to go....so is the sketch...white egrets....

4 comments:

Sarah Ann Smith said...

It's gorgeous Maggie! Made me think of Van Gogh's flowers immediately in the colors..... can't wait to see it quilter....Cheers, Sarah in Maine

Carol C said...

Wow! You were totally right about the yellow background!!! It is gorgeous!!! You are certainly inspiring me to play with cloth....when my 3 online classes are finished! So how do you make the oil pastels and neocolor permanent on fabric? Heat set?

Lorri Lee Chambers said...

I love this now I know why no emails in the last couple of days you were busy creating gorgeous...

I love Irises my Nanna had a huge garden of them of every color.

keep up the beautiful work

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

Love the iris paintings!