Sunday, January 10, 2010

A girl and a few more dogs....

Soo heres another how i draw a dog...i have a jillion pictures of my furkids in just about every pose imaginable...and labs are one of the most popular breeds so i am drawing them for my etsy...maggieinsc of course:> These are all 5x7 inches and of course will fit a standard frame and mat...they are $29.99 plus shipping.....


Once i have chosen a picture I draw a sketch in light grey watercolor faber castell wc pencil...dont forget to tape down your picture!!

Then I color them...this is done with both watercolor pencils and my neocolor ii....
Next the fun begins...releasing the color with my big haki brush....just blotting it with water...and wiping up dribbles....
I go back in and highlight or add shadows...with the indigo blue watercolor pencil...it can make the darkest blacks you have ever seen....i also added some purple...her highlights (and a lab has ALOT of them!) were reserved whites that i did not care if the blues and purples ran on them...

TIP: red, indigo and a green also makes a deep velvety black with both colored pencils and watercolor pencils...


This is my favorite sketch...Lab on a quilt sleeping....
Or hmm is this my favorite...our Jack Russell Jazz getting ready to play ball anyone wanna play ball with me I am soooo cute:?! Energizer bunny does not have a thing on Miss Jazz...even at 14!

A maiden...not anyone in particular...

1 comment:

Susan Lenz said...

Hi!
My name is Susan Lenz. I live in Columbia, SC and recently was accepted as a PAM SAQA member. I'm mounting a solo exhibition at Gallery 80808/Vista Studios, 808 Lady Street in Columbia, SC. It is a dual installation that includes my solo show "Blues Chapel" (which just had a show in Texas) and my newer work which is called "Last Words". The newer work includes my art quilts. There will be over 30 on display...including those accepted into Lowell Art Quilt 2009 and the upcoming Art Quilt Elements 2010 in Wayne, PA plus others accepted into national and regional shows. In truth, I'm rather new to quilting (though I've been stitching for just over a decade). I found your name on the SAQA site and am interested in contacting others working in this uniquely creative medium. Please look into this....tell a friend or two....come to the show...or just check out my blog. I'm very interested in feedback from experienced art quilters and in communication with like-minded fiber artists!
Susan
PS I love your ability to communicate through your watercolors and sense of humor! I'd love to meet you!