Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Well it never ceases to amaze me the VARIETY of stuff that Jan carries at Fiber on A Whim….

Yesterday we got to try out a jillion kinds of paint…all but one that Jan carries in the store…umm lets see if I can remember them all…prochem textile paints, golden acrylics with GAC, lumiere and setacolor…also dynaflow…the only one Jan does not carry YET in the large bottles..i fell in love with the colors …what were they brass and a golden green…yummy grass when you use them together…My friend Judy and Ille fell in love with the cobalt blue setacolor…did make a lovely turquoise…after playing with those for a while we worked on more itty bitty dolls…I really got to find my stuffing fork wherever I hid it when I cleaned up…

Then we had to shop…and do some damage to our check books…bought paints and misty fuse and oh she sells the coolest charms and buttons that are enameled brass…got a string of those…and her junk bucket…always fun stuff for a song in there…a bag full of somekinda metal charm that looked like brass or gold for 15 cents…I mean you cant buy a thing for 15 cents?

The Book collection keeps on growing as does the yarn and pattern collection…a jillion different doll patterns and patterns from Esterita Austin just to name one of the legion of quilt patterns available at Jans store…and don’t forget to check out the individual beads in the corner…some pretty awesome pearl/shell beads there…

By the time we left were starving so we went to Jason s Deli not far from Fiber on a whim…and ordered way more food than we could eat…we got the half sandwiches managers special…and I got a salad to go with mine…mine was an enormous wad of meat in an onion bun…turkey and pastrami……and Illes was this incredibley huge muffalata – spelling I know- anyway my jack russells were the happy beneficiaries of all the left over meat..

Then we went to Pearl art supplies as we were wending our way into town via Roswell Road…incredible assortment of art supplies of all kinds in that store…BIG store…even more stuff than Dick Blick…its supposed to be THE art store in NYC and I can see why…having been to Dick B last time we were in ATL…Pearl wins with the wide variety of art supplies…I mean they even sell reticulated horses…

Then we were off to High Museum to see the Gee Bend quilts…straight shot from Fiber on a whim via Roswell Road till it merges with Peachtree Rd and follow that to 14th Street…you cant miss the museum…park in the back…..so we saw the quilts…I enjoyed the visual display of them...huge galleries where you can stand back and appreciate the quilts colors…they were somehow very much color studies to me…well most of them…a few were…dare I say this heresy I would have left home…especially the one patch quilt with 50 different prints….They were Roberta Horton gone wild…and some of the stories were amazing…although be sure to listen to the adult recordings…could not for the life of me figure out WHY they wanted us to look for the snow ball made of different fabs till Ille pointed out the recording was for kids…they thought of everything…I did miss not talking about the quilts with my friends…since none of us were ever not listening to the recordings at the same time…but it was fun…worth the $15…Chuck Close…well darn how many times can you paint yourself??? Gee Bend was great…chuck well…we flew thru it before closing so maybe if I had had more time?? We bought postcards of the quilts in the gift store…30 for $10…



One last thing about the HIgh Museum...I was really intrigued with thier roof...they have these well they look like air vents which make eliptical patterns of light on the ceiling ...all of them face different directions and let in the sunlite....I coudlnt find any that seemed to face the same direction...Ille thought they were like that to take advantage of whatever light is available...all i can say is they were interesting....

Did I say we were tired when we left..??? And even better we did not get stuck in rush hour traffic…hallelujah…home by 7:45….

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maggie, I think you mean "articulated" horses (as in moveable joints, right?)
Reticulated refers to giraffe patterns.

I love your stream of consciousness style of writing.

Stacy