Thursday, July 26, 2007

oooh ten days has gone by without a post

ONE OF THE TABLES IN OUR CLASS

my bad...i will try to do better but I have been painting EVERYDAY since i got home from athens...or plastering or repainting...and then there are the curtains i started...and i read HPotter 6 and checking the mailbox shortly to see if the Hedwig the owl delivered HP7 yet...slight snafu at Amazon ...as in i clicked on my old Credit card ## not the new one that replaced it...soooo its not here yet....wahhh.... and i stayed up all nite reading HP 6 so i would be ready to see how it all ends!!

In the meantime I have painted four and 1/2 rooms in our house in the last ten days...i couldnt stand living in the chaos of taking down wallpaper while i was gone...DID I SAY I HATE WALLPAPER...the plaster dust..the mess...YUCK>...now i can paint without getting paint allover me or all over the ceiling or floor...i actually learned to house paint...
ATHENS CLASSMATES


Here are some of the things i learned...well it might be obvious to you but my dad who we all learned to house paint with espoused the slap the paint on the mullions and MAYBE scrape it off later attitude...so what did we know??

  • I learned to use a damp rag to clean up as i go ...wrapped around a small putty knife its FABULOUS!!!
  • I learned how to keep my brush from dripping everywhere as i painted...duh...you dont use the bucket...you get a wide mouth cup with an inch or so of paint in it...
  • I learned how to cut in ...well most of the time...when it didnt work out as planned I had my trusty wet clean up rag...and wet is really better than damp!:>
  • I also learned that those silly plastic sheets DONT work very well...the paint falls off them when they are dry....
  • OH and i learned that the little rubber maid cups and bowls were perfect for painting...and MUCH cheaper than those fancy things they sell at Lowes ....
  • And did you know that light switches in bedrooms have DIRT behind them...now how does that happen??? so did the plugs...
  • BLUE tape stinks...it leaves a nasty edge on the paint when you use it on the molding and it also LEAKS....WHO needs that??? and it sticks to you and everything else...I think its much stickier than masking tape...OH and pulls paint off the walls...ask me how i know??!

  • HMMM I know i learned other things...like its always hot at the ceiling:> but i cant reemmemebrere r what else...

so now for some eye candy:> what you came to see right?
OUR CLASS TABLE CENTERPIECES

When i was in athens i drew during class...i know ...bad right BUT they were reading books to us verbatim...word for word....and fed us like we were feeder pigs going to slaughter...we got really sleepy and really bored...so i started drawing almost everyone in the class that i could see to draw! and here are some of them!

2 comments:

juj said...

Great post - it's so nice to hear what's been going on in your life. I can't wait til you read HP7 so we can hear what you think. I won't say anything else on it lest I spoil anything for you tho it must be so hard to avoid all the spoilers that are already out there. I cracked up at your advice on the blue tape - been going thru a bit of that myself lately. I's like to add those edging blades to the list of "easy painting tools that actually suck" list. And how DOES dirt get behind the switch plates - especially dog hair?!? If you figure it out let me know.

Thanks for including the eye candy - it was delicious.

Anonymous said...

Great sketches, Maggie. Loved reading your painting tips, I will keep those in mind when I paint my great room, if I ever get around to it.