Saturday, September 01, 2007

So i was surfing the blogs are reading

This is my sketch after i played with the colors in iphoto

and i decided to go visit juju at juju loves polka dots...a wild eclectic blogger from london ....and i found this link to a woman named Barbara Rae
cortijo near orgiva

she does lovely big juicy blocks of color...I think they are mixed media...at least some of them look to be...

ANYWAY i decided to get out my oil pastels and draw the view out the back window...its a grey overcast day here...rain (we need it!)

THIS IS THE VIEW OUT THE BACK WINDOWS TODAY...SLIGHTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS:>
DUE TO A LACK OF WIDE RANGE OF COLORS THIS IS WHAT I DREW

i used my portfolio watercolor oil pastels AND my two smallish boxes of sennelier on a piece of hot press strathmore wc paper...i think this took me about 1/2 an hour...ok what i like about it...the SQUIGGLES...i tried to do one in Barbaras more blocky colors but it was not working for me...but squiggles they are the bomb...blending...what little i did was done with my fingers...dawn took it right off...

What else...OH FAVORITE part...the water...left bottom corner...it was done with a NOT clean chunk of sennelier white that had other colors on it from trying to lighten the trees...like the streaky effect of the colors mixing on their own...fun stuff...

I also tried scratching the surface DID NOT Like that...but i was using the top of a bic pen NOT the best scratching tool...should have used a table knife...I hear you shreiking...DONT mix oil with the silverware...i didnt...plastic silverware would work right?!

The iphoto lightening of the colors...I reduced the saturation worked well though to give the colors that were there...not that i needed it...i like the original too...fun experiment ...need to try more of this...maybe with paint

6 comments:

Donn said...

Interesting use of oil pastels. I have yet to learn how to use mine so it looks like something! Thanks for the info on what you tried and didn't like. The squigglies worked well.

Dana S. Whitney said...

Greens are SO diabolical!
Love the Borders sketches/journal pages with commentary. (Is your Borders deteriorating in book selection? ours is. :-(
And, I was happy to be reminded of Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs. I was a children's librarian/storyteller for many years, and that was always a hit!

Unknown said...

I absolutely LOVED that book growing up. It was so much fun. :D

Hugs,
Melinda

Teri said...

Such an interesting post Maggie, thanks.

juj said...

Oh! I loved that book. Thanks for reminding me of it. Love your squiggles and scratches - and those colors are sublime. Sooo rich and vivid. And speaking of colors, thanks for the link to Barbara Rae - her stuff is terrific. Wouldn't you love to have the painting you showed hanging on your wall...

Anonymous said...

I don't get the Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs reference...guess that must have passed me by! I love your oil pastel work...surprised scratching didn't work. I've never used them myself, but I'd imagined that scratching would be an effective technique with them. The colours are super.