Monday, February 11, 2008

And you thought i wuz not sewing



BUT i fooled you...i have started piecing a quilt...I quilted most of my girl in the rocker...she still needs some more geegaws and maybe a wild pieced border....

I am quilting this dragaround quilt for my Major dad a retired Marine who is 85 with all of his duty stations and his quote from fox hill at Toktong Pass in Choinsin Reservoir that is on the wall of the new Marine Corp Museum in Quantico...a kind of memory quilt that he wont mind using and that he can read as he takes a nap or two under...he went to lots of interesting places Honolulu(shipping out just before Pearl Harbor) the Great wall of China, Okinawa, Singapore and as far as we are concerned Notre Dame in South Bend Indiana where he met my mom:>
These two sections say Choisin Reservoir Korea 1950





I quilted his name and rank as well as his wife and family...my name and my friends names that pinned it not once but twice!..fun stuff but taking a while...

This quilt...i think its my friend kays quilt...is the only quilt i got a decent picture of at our quilt retreat at in Jan...I kept either NOT having a battery or having it notcharged or no camera...it was one thing or another the whole weekend and i finally just QUIT...

BUT I did read this fascinating book that my friend Judy had One Block Wonders...and had to make one...i dug thru the closet looking for something to whack up...its made similar to a stack and whack BUT none of the background pieces are added to it...you just use the one fabric for a totally really neat look..this is my start on mine...ALOT Of sewing...about 2/3 of the way done...had company the last two weekends or it would have....THE BOOK -all of these pinwheels are from one fabric...and no other is added The fabric Kaffe Fassett Kimono Print

Some of the pinwheels-piles of them everywhere..
last i counted there were close to one hundred of them

5 comments:

Peggy S said...

Maggie,
They are fun blocks to make. I set aside some yardage to make one too...now if I could just find time to work on it. I like the colors of your blocks. I'm sure it will be a pretty quilt.

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

I love the girl on the rocker...her face is lovely! This one looks like a fun project.

The quilt for your dad honoring his years of service is a labor of love. He will be so proud of it because you made it for him.

The one-block wonder will be so pretty! Can't wait to see pics when it is put together.

Sherryl said...

Your girl in the rocker is adorable. It will be lots of fun when it is done, I bet.

Linda Teddlie Minton said...

Maggie, you are a busy, busy girl! The "drag-around" quilt is wonderful, and of course I love your rocker girl ... her face, her hair, and her boobies! ;^)

Vicky aka Stichr said...

I love the fabric you chose for your One Block Wonder! [I did one in a really really bright orange fish print, it's in my blog under Orange Roughy.] And the felting...very heavy sigh here...I can't knit for snit. Not to mention the beads, maybe use some for tassel ends on the handles of the felted bags?