Tuesday, November 24, 2009

My great big awesome American Birthday quilt

My friends have been realy busy working on this quilt for my birthday...Last nite they presented me with the top....and soon it will be quilted after the holidays...

isnt it awesome...one of the things that amazed me is they picked out my favorite Phillip Jacobs for the border but had no idea it was my favorite....and the corner stones are from one of my long time fav Kaffe Fassetts....the orange kimono fabric...

They seem to know alot about me....pieces of my personality and my history are laced throughout this quilt...it truly is an american quilt....and I love it!! Thanks everyone....

PS I missed taking pics of one block....sooo I will have to add Mary's down in the left corner....

SO MS. Margaret Wesley aka the other Margaret designed and painted this for the label...thinking i just might frame this one....and print a copy for the back...I think i almost caught her at it yesterday when i went by her house unexpectedly....isnt this the most fun...has the dogs and the cat and all the things i like to do...

Siobhan Furguson's applique in all the zippy colors i Love.....
Sue Carricks cool artist palette....I think Margaret W drew the pattern for her?

Linda Birchall's monkey wrench...shes the new piecing queen..just learned to sew last fall...and now her machine goes vroom vroom vroom....Paula Browns current love is playing with Caran D'Arches crayons...great job Paula!
Kathy Mullis' fun beach ladies....we both LOVE the beach....hmm which one is WHO?! Kathy is going to quilt the quilt too..next week right Kathy:>
Kims interpretation of Bella wearing a dreadlocks hat...is this not a hoot?!
Paula Matson's hand block...the first birthday quilt i spear headed for Rachel Watson had hands on it...LOTS of hands...so this is a nice touch!!
Linda Yehle's block...called Margarets choice...neat choice linda:>

An amazing sewing machine block by Margaret Wesley...who says she cant sew...hmmmmmm

Pam Beelers way cool Jack Russell Block...Charley is alive and well again...i do miss him....
Dana Wagners hoochy mama star of Laurel Burch Fabric...love the wonkiness...
Pat Hinkle's scrapy block...i swear that flower in the middle is some of the scraps i gave her is it 5 years ago...from the tiger quilt i did....

I gave Connie the morning glory fabric...she melded it with her beloved modas for a great block...
Shelvy Miller's patriotic star for the memory of my dad THE marine:>
Okay Betsy got one of the Birthday quilts..the big skater quilt...her birthday is two days after mine....so last nite was really her birthday BUT since we had already given her her big quilt last year or was it the year before....i got to be the star last nite...

Betsy made small books of things that i do ....like her quilt, the leftover Christmas party i started at my house...and the book about how i sew...FAST:>
here are the books open!
Marie Atkinson and her daughter Sami made this block. Marie likes muted tones so Sami who is 11 /12 and the shop kid had to tell her mom what colors to use...an amazing job girls!
My friend Marsha Boasso and i shopped for halloween fabric last fall at the Quilt Expo in Atlanta...she made this wonky monkey wrench out of some of them...thanks for the memories Marsha!
Kitty Lamb's sunbonnet sue combined with Angie Faircloths nine patch. I was quite touched that Kitty did this...she has had alot of health problems lately and i know it took a real effort for her to do this! THANKS girls:>
Oh my gosh my friend Judy Lockhart went over the top on this one...a block from the lollipops pattern on glorious patchwork...immaculate applique....love it!
erKim swiped another pic from my blog of Ms. Jazz ...isnt it fun?
Ille's block of my house ...designed by margaret wesley...and the wonderful Phillip Jacobs border....it was my fav fabric on the last trip to intown...and wait...Ille and Kim who picked it out did NOT know that...good job ladies!!
Bella supervising me taking pics of the quilt...
Kay Lawrence's awesome applique wreath
Rachel Watson's awesome sewing inspired birthday cake...even the candles look like spools of thread! Rachel started the birthday quilt thing that we do now...she made one for each of her singles group when they turned fifty...but who was going to make one for rachel since none of them sewed...so we did....four years ago!! And we have been making them ever since....
Joyce Lytle's cool block using my name to write wonderful things about me:> I wish they were all true:> Thanks Joyce!!


Well thanks to everyone I had the most awesome birthday i think since well i was a child....Thanks to all my friends and family who helped me celebrate!!

2 comments:

Gerrie said...

Awesome! You have some fantastic and talented friends.

judith lockhart said...

Oh how cool, Maggie! Couldn't wait to see all the fabulous blocks and your American Quilt! So glad to be a part of it!! It's beautious and perfect and of course I love the border also!