Saturday, October 04, 2014

Day 90 - Ghiradelli Pumpkin

I sat down to try out the watercolors on a mixed media book and was going upstairs to sew. I didn't like the paper. Rooted around for another piece of paper and next thing I was painting more pumpkins. This is how that turned out.

              L-R Carnival Squash, Baby Boo, Jarrahdale or Ghirardelli 

 This is painted on old Canson paper block of my dad's with Holbein and Daniel Smith watercolor paints.  That green ghiradelli pumpkin was a pain.  It went to grey for a while.

L-R Carnival Squash, Baby Boo, Jarrahdale or Ghirardelli 


For a while it looked like this.

Then I decided the shadows weren't right under the pumpkins. Back to the paintbrush.


L-R Carnival Squash, Baby Boo, Jarrahdale or Ghirardelli 

And then I decided the Jarrahdale's shadows were to heavy too grey. I got my handy dandy watercolor eraser out aka Mr Clean Magic Eraser and whipped them off.  The canson stood up to the rough treatment quite well.


L-R Carnival Squash, Baby Boo, Jarrahdale or Ghirardelli 

Here it is now. About perfect but who knows maybe more work on the orange and white pumpkin? NOT tonite.



Detail. I got the veiny speckled look by using a chunk of holey sea sponge. You need a lighter undercoating. Then lightly sponge another coat on. Repeat till you are happy with the texture.

Thanks for looking!!

1 comment:

Irene said...

Congratulations on posting for 90 straight. Your pumpkins are wonderful as is the background.