Saturday, January 20, 2007

A gorgeous quilt and my turning twenties...yes I hear

again...what is she doing...but they do make great gifts...

I am in love with this first quilt which is from Blended Quilts II book(I think-Amazon does not list it) by Sharon Yenter. My friend Judy Lockhart is making it for her son and his new wife...arent they lucky? This one is definitely on my I must make list...and I think i have all the fabric. After the blended quilt books came out I figured out that that is what I have always liked about Kaffe Fassett and Liza Lucys awesome books...the blended look...going back to the roots of quilting when everything was used...not much fussy cutting...and serendipitous blending of colors which is one of the things I have always found interesting in quilts...

And here are a few of the ones I have been slogging thru...finishing up two belated Christmas presents and one for my mothers birthday next week...I guess she will get the pillow shams for mothers day...I hope she does not read my blog now that she has my sons old G4 Mac and find out...and I have a feeling this is one of the first spots she will be heading for...that and amazon...she discovered the joys of online ordering when she was here for Christmas....and the penny used books...hog heaven for her...this is a detail of what I call the Leaf Man quilt...I had promised our wonderful yard guy who does all kinds of odd chores for me when he shows up including hanging quilts. He was going to get the turning twenty that you will see in a minute BUT i decided it was not the best for a man who loves plants and flowers and yards...so I pulled out this old stack and whack top that I had never finished with a little help from Connie...we decided it would be much more appropriate for him...even the color was right...I quilted it to death with leaves...even the calidoscopes are quilted with leaves...not that you can see them...
thats the top of my head and my fingers:>


My mom is getting the tt20 again which i originally meant for her for Christmas but did not get done in time...now shes getting it for her birthday next week...This is an enormous quilt...40 squares I think...or is it 36...I quilted it in an afternoon on my 6500 so forgive if the quilting is not the best...It took Ille and I all afternoon to sew the binding down on this giant...
I stole this pic from Kims blog...its Sandy Duerksons wonderful quilt made from japanese fabric...real japanese fabrics...it has such a nice mellow look to it...the wonky edge is tough to bind isnt it sandy?
and one last turning twenty quilt which is what I am quilting now...1/5 done...yeah...and is my moms Christmas present....she knows shes getting it...so decided to finish her birthday quilt first...I bought a 20 pack of fat quarters of Denyse Schmidt's Flea Market Fabrics from Hancocks of Paducah...and did not match anything ...just sewed it together in random order which is how I do most of these...the only time I change the random order is when I have two of the same fabrics together...then I usually rotate one or grab the next block...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You do truly amazing work Maggie. I don't know anything about quilting, but you are converting me to be a fan!