Thursday, July 31, 2014

Day 25 - Dr Sketchys Anti Art School

Last nite Ruth, Tom and I went to Dr Sketchys Anti Art School at Chat Noir downtown. THE best fun. A lot of FAST sketching. 5 min poses up to one 20 min pose. The model wears costumes.  Ruth and I decided that it was THE best fun we had sketching EVER....Wild music...a cocktail..prizes...fun artsy crowd...Monthly the  last Wednesday  at Chat Noir @7pm.

Most of my sketches were charcoal/conte crayon with touches of my friend's Ruth's pastels which she kindly loaned.

Here's the original Dr. Sketchy's Anti Art School. Molly Crabapple started in it NYC as an antidote to the staid life drawing classes in most art schools. The models run a wide range of life models to burlesque dancers.  Last month the model was a local belly dancer.  Dr. Sketchys is all over the world so check the site and see if there's one near you.


Queen April

A tough assignment.  Draw with your nondominant hand a sketch of April, Queen of Asheville NC's Dr. Sketchys which is held monthly at the Crow and Skull. Drawn completely with my left hand. At first it was very difficult but after you got into the swing of it it became easier...and I like the spidery wispy lines because I was so tentative in my work.  I borrowed Ruth's blue and red pastels. Thanks RUTH!!

I actually won the contest. Free sketch nite at Dr Sketchys Anti Art School and two art monkey stickers.

Queen April's birthday card

Another assignment. Draw her a birthday card. Sorry the photo's not better but I gave it to her so NO redoes! Doesn't do the juicy colors of the pastels justice.
She had had a recent birthday so our last class assignment was to make her a birthday card.  Next time I am bringing my own colors because I had to borrow Ruth's pastels once again!! They really made this one I think!!


My favorite. Might have been 10 min sketch. This one actually looks alot like her. Fabulous blue and black hair. Once again I borrowed  Ruth's blue and red pastels....juicy colors!! 

More tomorrow.


No comments: