Monday, September 15, 2014

Day 70 - All about Contrast

I was watching videos on how to paint trees today on Youtube...rainy day not many expectations right??! 

I ended up painting 8 -10 trees and wasnt happy with any of them till I realized what was wrong with the last three...not enough contrast...about 8 pm I started adding more darks to them....and here are the before and after painitns...its all about the C O N T R A S T!! Not enough and watercolor just will NOT pop..it just lays lifeless on the paper.


These are sycamores I can see out my windows...the Savannah River is lined with them...and they are all turning a lovely yellow green right now...


Before

This tree kept growing...its way too rectangular but at least it looks better in the second one.


After 
More contrast under the limbs, and in the grasses...and of course in the leaves.


Before ...I actually was sort of pleased with this one till I took a pic of it...and then WAS NOT pleased!!  Blasé!!!



After

..the branches really are popping which they do on a sycamore...one reason they are my favorite tree...the lovely white shiny bark.


 I actually was sort of pleased with this one...and it was quite involved to paint.  First I drew it and masked out all the branches and the trunks.  Then I painted all the leaves yellow.  I then did negative painting around it with cobalt and cerulean to define and make the yellow pop.  Yellow and blue are contrasting colors so blue makes yellow pop.


Before

Here's the whole thing...not enough contrast in the grass...and more needed to make the branches stand out...but not bad compared to the first two...



After

Lots of contrast in the tree, on the branches and in the grasses at the foot of the trees.  Grass lines the river banks here unless you keep your yard manicured...I dont mind a weed or two where they belong!! :)



So next time a waterolor looks flat ...dont blame the papere which i was doing...add some more contrast!! 

Thanks for looking!!

No comments: