Sunday, October 12, 2014

Day 98 - Fauvism?!


Today I spent a couple more hours trying to straighten this portrait gone wrong.  I was shaving off 1/8" at a time..lowering an eyebrow, an eye, shortening the chin....getting more frustrated by the second.   I actually am fairly pleased with her until I look at some practiced portrait painter or figure painting.  I just started portrait/figure painting less than a year ago.  Hmm February I think!


Love the way the hands turned out!!

And doing it with acrylics can be SO frustrating. I fixed the drying out of acrylics part by buying one of those sealable pallettes...its fantastic.  The paint just stays wet forever.


The completed portrait!! Ho Hum!

However I thought I was getting too fussy with my painting because I could keep the colors from drying out...just can't make me happy!! :)
Scroll down to see what I decided to let fly today!! And it was actually fun...didn't give me a headache.


Yesterday there was  a big discussion during break about what makes a great memorable artist as opposed to a competent good artist....has nothing to do with selling but making art that is different.  Something novel...not run of the mill.  So I set a challenge after completing this portrait.  Maybe it was a quest after I listened to Elizabeth Gilbert on Super Soul Sunday?!


Fauve Erica*

I got out a piece of canvas board...cheap stuff..no expectations and made two rules for this second go round.  NO using flesh colors and I could only use large hog bristle brushes...hard to get too ticky picky with those large hog hair brushes.  Funny thing.  People are liking this like crazy on instagram...including a gallery...HUH!! Maybe playing is the way to go??



The background...I scraped the paint off the palette with a pallette knite scraping it on the board. Then I sprayed it down with a spray bottle so it could run.

  1. *Fauvism is the style of les Fauves (French for "the wild beasts"), a loose group of early twentieth-century Modern artists whose works emphasized painterly qualities and strong color over the representational or realistic values retained by Impressionism. From Google!

  2. Here's a link to more about Fauvism if you want to read about it! Try it - it's fun!!

No comments: