Thursday, October 30, 2014

Day 116- Dr Sketchys Part 1

As usual Dr Sketchys AntiArt School at Chat Noir downtown was a lot of fun. It's always the last Wednesday of the month if you want to join one near you.  They take place literally ALL over the world and are alot of fun..wild music off the wall models, prizes!!  Last night it was quick sketching of a guy who styles himself as a sideshow freak Arsin Sideshow.  He started off cracking his bull whip in an ear piercing sound.  Then he went on to put a nail in his nose with a hammer...I couldn't look!!



Arsin Sitting on a drum?!
Five minute sketch

Poses were odd as usual. We started with two minute sketches and then went on to longer and longer ones...I think this was a five minute sketch but I am not sure. ...he was actually leaning forward sitting on a drum with a wrench.  I drew it with pen from beginning to end...daring for me!! I DO love My Pencil BUT I was trying to follow Melanie Reim's suggestions from sketchbookskool

I drew him first with my Lamy pen filled with Noodler's Eelskin Ink.  I colored him in with my Pentel brush pens...the one with black permanent ink and the ones with water based ink...grey, black and brown.  I like the way it turned out...I think I got the proportions right...hard to say when he's sitting on a drum.  After I finished drawing Arsin I went back and filled in the details with the grey pen ...then I emphasized areas with the black pen....too much under his chin.  I also filled in the background with the grey pen and used the water pen that comes with them to brush the grey...OH I did this in my sketch moleskine.  Really like the way the grey did..so I kept using it...I added some of the waterbased black as a sort of graffitti like one of my favorite artists, David Kassan, does in his paintings. 



Arsin as a Stilt Creature

We came back from break to see a huge creature swaying on the stage..He was on stilts and completely covered in black fabric that was layered  with grey cheese cloth with huge holes in it.  He also had on a white china mask. 

This also was completely drawn with pens.  My lamy pen did a good job on this one I think.  I started with it...drew the shape, the mask, filled in the cheese cloth strings.  I again used the permanent black pentel brush pen to emphasize the holes the legs and other places with dark dark black...also the lettering.  Next i went over it with the grey waterbased brush pen.  I filled in the background with the brown one and used some dark blue art stix for the shadow. Actually like the way he turned out..weird but interesting to draw...and not very hard to draw!!




No comments: